Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'm So Devolved

Sometimes I think evolution must be circular. Like, the further removed we feel from our hairy forefathers, the closer we get to becoming more like them.

There are the obvious examples (basically anything men do when trying to woo, impress or keep a woman), and then there are the more subtle examples. Examples like the following ... which puts an intelligent, (semi) confident woman like myself on the same evolutionary limb as a tree shew. Yes, a tree shrew.

I'll explain.

A little while after I found out I was pregnant (yay), but closer to the time I found out I have a disfigured uterus (boo), BumpMister and I went to NYC for the night. It was a beautiful weekend and we decided to go last minute to tourist it up - which included shopping, seeing Mama Mia! and spending about five hours perusing the Museum of Natural History.

We're dorks at heart so we love the museum. But the highlight of our trip was the "Hall of Evolution" (Ok, I don't think it was actually called that, but it sounds good.) Because in that hall is where we saw the following:


The title: REPRODUCTION HAS CHANGED.

The details:


For those of you who don't have laser vision, it says "The bicornuate uterus becomes simple." And then it shows the evolutionary progression of the uterus ... from a TREE SHREW to a HUMAN.

Because nothing in life or in pregnancy is "simple," this statement seemed, well, perfect. And instead of making me get all weepy eyed at the idea of my unsimple uterus holding my simply perfect baby, it made me and BumpMister laugh. Laugh, out loud, long and hard, standing alone in the middle of the Hall of Evolution.

Because I realized - I'm twice the woman a tree shrew will ever be. And if she can do it, I can do it.

1 comment:

  1. glad you and BumpMister could have a god laugh about this! I love the idea of your perfect baby growing inside of your "unsimple" uterus.

    ReplyDelete